Polymorphic Volume Scheduling
Polly implements a centralized storage scheduling service that integrates with popular
container schedulers of different application platforms for containerized workloads. It is an open source framework that supports use of external storage, with scheduled containerized workloads, at scale. It can be used to centralize the control of creating, mapping, snapshotting and deleting persistent data volumes on a multitude of storage platforms.
- Configure services to interface with schedulers and groups of container runtimes
- Restrict existing volumes and new volumes to services
- Centralized control and distribution of storage resources
- Offer based mechanism for advertising storage to container schedulers
- Framework supporting direct integration to any container scheduler, storage orchestrator, and storage platform
- Basic Volume Management capabilities
What it does
Container runtime schedulers need to be integrated with every aspect of available hardware resources, including persistent storage. When requesting resources for an application the scheduler gets offers for CPU, RAM and disk.
To be able to offer persistent storage in a scalable way, the application and container scheduler needs awareness of the available resources from the underlying storage infrastructure.
- An application requires highly available storage with a specific set of policies applied
- The scheduler receives a request to start the application
- The scheduler checks with Polly or already has an off from Polly for storage resources
- Polly requests the volume(s) to be mapped to the container
- Scheduler issues request to start the container with persistent storage
- Container runtime orchestrates process of starting container and attaching persistent storage
Container runtime scheduler support
- Docker Swarm
- Cloud Foundry
Cloud platform support
- AWS EC2 (EBS)
- Google Compute Engine
- Private Cloud
- Public Cloud (RackSpace, and others)
Storage platform support
- EMC ScaleIO
Polly makes use of the open source storage plugin framework libStorage to enable storage orchestrator tools and container runtimes to make requests of storage. Any storage platform that has a driver implementation for the libStorage framework will work with Polly.